It is currently 29 Jun 2024, 04:58

All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Interview Skylark
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2008, 09:52 

[quote="365mag"]It's not everyday that you get to have a conversation with two of the most talented people in dance music. With the release of their long Awaited artist album “I Panik”, Nic Fanciulli and Andy Chatterley have reached a goal rarely gained in the electronica arena: an artist album that includes tracks to dance and to listen to. Recently, Nic and Andy sat down and spoke to 365mag's Harry Avers, to discuss their new album:

What's the concept behind I panik?
N: Well, we have been working together for nearly 10 years. We are both into house music very much. Actually, we like all sorts of electronic music; Drum and Bass, and Techno as well. We wanted to make an artist album that the listener could either dance to or listen to in their car or home.

A:We didn't just sit down and write the album. It was a natural progression. Its true to form and is a project of musical integrity and substance.

How did you two meet?
We met 10 years ago in south London and realized that we worked well together. We met through a mutual friend named Rob Cockerton, who was our inspiration for collaborating together.

what do you look for when releasing material on Saved?
N: The Saved label started out as an outlet for our projects. As people started taking notice, we started getting all this great music. Artists such as Audiofly, and James Talk were broken through the Saved moniker. What we try to do is sign unknown artists or artists that have not received record deals elsewhere.

A:Saved is about signing music we like. We are opening an on-line store where the consumer can purchase our music directly from our site. It is a development we are very excited about.

Are their going to be any remix packages done on any of the tracks and if so, who can we expect to be doing them?
Well, we are very happy to announce, exclusively for you Harry, that the following producers will be doing remixes for the tracks on the album: Jooris Voorn, Funk d' void, Manuel Jur, Stryke, Spencer Parker (from the Rekidz label), and Joel Mull. Also, as yet to be confirmed, Ame, and Sebo K. its interesting to note that every person involved with the project picked a different track.

Do you have a tour planned next year to support the album?
We are going to be doing a Skylark live tour with visuals. In essence, we are going to be taking the studio on the road where special edits of the album's tracks will go hand in hand with visuals on the road. We feel that proper visual displays enhances the effectiveness of the performance and presentation of the music. Ala Daft Punk.

Andy, your work with Nic aside, have you released any solo projects as of late??
A: I have been known primarily for my Keyboard work in the past. Recently, I did some of the Keyboard work on Kanye West's latest album. You would also recognize my work with the Edison Project and “The Droids”. I have also been busy doing remixes for Blondie and Paolo (mojo???)

Nic: how was your worldwide touring experience? Would you do anything differently next time around?
N: Yah… the U.S. market is hard to break into. Being with my dear friend James (Zabiela) really helped a great deal. It was the best experience I ever had. The sets we performed were never planned. We just went with the flow, and let things develop throughout the evening. Wherever the music took us as individuals and as a duo is where we went.

Fellas, take us into your studio: what are we looking at?

Quick rundown:
TR - 808
TR - 909
Roland TB -303
G-5 running Logic and Ableton
Mini Moog
Moog Voyager
2 monitors: Mackie HR - 824
JBL 4435
Neul Compressor
Pre Amps
Tons of Guitar Amps (we love running sounds through Guitar Amps. It makes for some very unique material)
Wurlitzer
It is very much an Analogue studio.

What advice can you offer up and coming producers, and people looking to collaborate on projects together?
Just get Logic. Ableton is very user friendly so we recommend starting with Ableton and then graduate to Logic.

N: Start throwing Loops and samples at each other. It is always difficult for new people to start collaborations together. It is always good to throw ideas around before going into the studio.

A:It depends on the dynamics of the collaborators' personality. The whole studio experience can take people into different creative directions. What I have found is I do not get attached to any one idea. Let the music and the projects in general develop a life of their own. Let the music go to a place it wants to go. As I mentioned earlier, it is about a natural progression of the project.

Who are the artists in today's market who are influencing the way you both listen and produce music?
N:I get influenced from a variety of places. All genres influence me really. People like DJ Zinc, Laurent Garnier, Lee Burridge, Francois K, James Zabiela and my partner Andy.

A: I get my influences from so many different places.Things my Wife says; it is not necessarily always music that influences me.

We would like to think Nic and Andy for their time and answers!