It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 17:28

All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2008, 17:25 
GrooveCollector
GrooveCollector

Direct link: [url=http://blog.ministryofsound.com/archive/2008/04/03/SebDavidson5pm.aspx]Ministry of Sound Website[/url]

Dutch DJ and producer Sebastian Davidson likes to get deep. Sometimes he like to get deep and techy, but mostly he just likes to get deep. Scooting around the outskirts of the underground prog/deep house scene, he has picked up many big name supporters over the years, such as John Digweed, Hernan Cattaneo and even Paul van Dyk, yet has never really conquered the mainstream, despite making a small splash in the scene with last year’s Kinky Vinyl release ’Bondi’ (which was incidently the last ever vinyl release release on the label).

As one of the hardest working producers out there, it was difficult to nail him down for a chat, but Gavin Leversuch managed to do just that in today’s 5pm Interview...

So Seb, what have you been up to lately?

"Things are really busy after my Bondi and Nightbird releases in 2007, but all really great! I have just joined a new agency for my DJ bookings; Epiqurus Agency, based in Amsterdam. I’m in good company there with other DJ’s and producers like Eelke Kleijn, Medway, Kosmas Epsilon, Oliver Moldan and Ricky Ryan on their roster. Hopefully this will lead to me playing out as much as possible around the globe! I’ve also got a lot of new stuff coming up on labels like Global Underground, Kinky Digital, Deepology and Outside The Box Music. Did some remixes for Rogue Audio, Seva K, Yvel & Tristan, Scope etc. as well, now I’m focusing on new original material."

You’ve been putting out a huge amount of records on a huge amount of labels lately. Why do you think you never seem to settle on one label for long?

"Hmmm, I dunno. It has nothing to do with settling. It’s just that I like to produce house music from vocal deep house to tech house and even a touch of progressive. This is not all suitable to one label in my opinion. Plus, it creates diversity in my profile, which I think is not bad."

You’ve just mixed the latest Club Pepper album with Eelke Kleijn, what is more enjoyable to you, producing tracks from scratch or blending them together for an album?

"No doubt: producing them! Everything that can go wrong with the pressing of an album has happened to the Club Pepper CD. Wrong artwork, pressing faults on the CD, and so on, but now it’s ok and a really nice finished product! Collecting tracks and blending them into 70 minutes for an album is really cool to do, but producing is much more personal."

What do you see as your main strengths as a producer?

"Strengths?!? Hmmm, I can tell you my weaknesses, but my strengths? Haha! I hope it’s a consistency in creating moody atmospheres in my tracks, but there is still a lot to improve on my skills. I have been producing music since November 2006 and I am learning every day. Not so much a personal strength, but a major asset is that I am good friends with producers like Olav Basoski and Eelke Kleijn who teach me tips & tricks or give me advice when I ask them. There is so much to discover, this boy has still a long road to go!"

When you begin work on a new track, how much of an idea do you have already? Is it just a spark, or do you have something closer to the full picture in your mind?

"Yeah, it starts with a spark. I like browsing audio plugins in search of new moody sounds. From there I start to play with melodies and build a tune. Most of my tracks have been created that way. I’ve tried working in a way of ’OK, now I’ll make this and that, with a sound like this, and a break down like that blah blah blah’, but that doesn’t work out very well for me."

"I’ve been toying with several ideas and themes for my next single. Sometimes I have to be alone and thinking about what I like to hear; what holds my attention and moves me. I also like driving my car listening to rare disco classics to get inspiration. I don’t like continuing producing the same sounds and style that has proven successful. I like to move to something different."

(Interview: Gavin LeversuchI)

Seb’s Current Top 5:

1. Solomun - Deadman (Original) - Four:Twenty
2. Jinkzilla ft. Zodiac - Man Up (Tiger Stripes Remix) - Jinks Inc
3. Chymera - Wish (Original) - NRK
4. Sol & Grimm - Exuma (Original) - Renaissance
5. Francois Dubois & Master H - la Balance (Original) - Urbantorque

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2008, 19:26 
GrooveCollector
GrooveCollector

Leuk interview, hij is ook goed bezig de laatste tijd! (Y)