07. Peace Division "Peaces Of Gold"
08. Chab "You And Me" [Satoshi Tomiie ES Edit]
09. Maskio "Wait (I Know What You Need)"
10. Uppfade "Friday Loops" [JheReal Mix]
11. 1 UP "Yeahdancetomyrecordbitch"
12. Coburn "We Interrupt This Program"
13. Beckers "Fake" [Original]
14. Slok "Lonely Child"

Iemand al gehoord? Heb hem net binnen. Na een eerste luistersessie ben ik bang dat het hem niet helemaal gaat worden...beetje acid/elektro achtige start

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2005, 15:46 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nog niet gehoord, maar Tomiie stelde me nog nooit teleur

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2005, 19:24 
GrooveCollector
GrooveCollector

Ik vind hem best lekker..

maar ben ook niet vies van lekkere electro-invloeden.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2005, 04:26 
Site Admin
Site Admin

INTERVIEW: SATOSHI TOMIIE
Special: Interview (2005-07-07)

Satoshi Tomiie is a busy man, managing his extremely popular SAW label, producing remixes and original material for his artist album due to be released next year, and playing at club nights all over the world.  However, he has managed to make time to mix a new set of CDs, the ES series, this one being the first and the second being released later on in the summer.  These CDs are designed to show Satoshi's diverse taste in music, with the first mix being more the music he would play in a club, and the second mix revealing his housier side.

With ES out now it was time to ask Satoshi how he is doing, what Japan means to him and who he blindly trusts musically. If you would like to know how a Satoshi week looks like time wise read on below...

ES is the first of two new CD's arriving on SAW this summer. Can you tell us a bit about the tracks showcased on the ES album which is just out, and your decision to go for a double pack with ES and ES-B, but both recieving separate releases?
I wanted to give choices to the customer.  A double CD package is great but people (including me) always pick their favorite disc between two and say "I like CD 2 (or 1)" etc. So I decided to release two different CD with different vibes.

You have just completed tour in Japan for the ES album release. Can you tell us a little about the tour?
The album release tour in Japan was awesome, I played in Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya and Kyoto. I actually toured with one of my best and long time friends and most important house DJs in Japan, Ko Kimura. The party in Tokyo was at Yellow which is one of my favorite clubs there (or in the world really) with a great analogue sound system. With the VJ team E-Male the visuals were pleasant as well. It was a great way to start and I wanted to begin the ES tour from the country where I came from. This tour was also supported by Pioneer and had chance to play on the new mixer (DJM1000) and effect unit (EFX1000), that was a real bonus!

Do you still feel at home in Japan after being away for so long?
Oh yes, 100%. I want to go back there for just a cup of coffee if I have a chance.

If you have some time off in Japan where do you go to relax?
Kamakura, it's 45 min or so driving from Tokyo. It's a very historical place, very calm and close to the water.  It's beautiful. One very close friend of mine lives there and I visit him when I have a day off.

What else can we expect touring wise to support the ES and ES-B releases this summer besides Ibiza?
My other residency in Italy at Il Muretto, Tenerife, Portugal, Mykonos, Newcastle (UK) and various other European dates.

This summer will see Def Mix / SAW host another installment on the white island of Ibiza. Can you tell 365Mag readers what's in store for anyone attending the nights?
Morales, Knuckles, Romero and myself with a very strong lineup of guests, we are really excited about this residency. We host Saturdays from June to October, playing good music with slightly different musical taste between Def Mix and SAW but at the end of the day we came from the same place and what we are trying to do is sharing a great night and a great mixture of music with our crowds.

Which countries away from mainland Europe and the US are really exciting to play for you and where is the scene currently thriving?
For me Argentina is the best place in the whole world to play over the last few years. The crowd is great and the vibe is right. I just love it. Eastern Europe and South America are two thriving destinations right now in my opinion.

SAW have put a lot of faith into the latest Chab album. How important is it nowadays for labels like SAW to keep on pushing artist albums as a creative outlet vs the more obvious commercial route many take these days?
What we are doing is introducing quality dance music to the market and we believe it to be our mission. Releasing artist albums is pushing it forward, taking a step to the next level. The creativity and the quality always comes first, so putting out the artist album like Chab's is very important for us.

On a 'normal' week how does your Monday to Friday look when you are not playing? Do you have set days for A&R, meetings and family/social matters or is it always a rollercoaster so to speak?
Rollercoaster it is! I don't have so called 'normal' weekdays as I travel all the time but when I stay in NY I am trying to accomplish as many label matters / creative issues as quickly and efficiently as possible. It's 24/7 really though.

A&R can be really tiring sometimes, which person(s) do you trust blindly when it comes to music? Are any of these persons not working in the music industry?
Actually I do enjoy it as Hector and I are working as A&R very closely. We have similar but slightly different musical tastes and this difference makes our A&R work unique. I don't have someone I trust blindly, but I always try to be true to myself.

What is your opinion on the German electro and house sound that is so hot at the moment?
I love it! There is some quality material; I really like those electronic tunes with unique and creative sound, at the same time funky and groovy, that also maintains genuine house flavour.

Hip Hop led to you starting your own band and getting into DJ'ing and production initially. Do you still have contact with those band members and do you ever feel the urge to get a live show on the road again?
Yes, the vocalist comes to my gigs all the time, he really enjoys it. Live shows? Let me think about it!

Over the years you have remixed and worked with the likes of Kosheen, Simply Red, David Bowie, U2, Mariah Carey, Misia (Japan's #1 R&B artist), Diane Charlemagne and Robert Owens. Which artist is still on your wish list to work with?
I really want to work with Keli Ali again, but at the same time I'm a bit afraid.  It will be very hard to write a tune better than "Love In Traffic". I would love to work with David Bowie, U2 and Kosheen. Diane's voice is still one of my favourites. I would like to work with her again when I get a chance.

On behalf on 365Mag, many thanks Satoshi!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2005, 15:33 
GrooveCollector
GrooveCollector

[quote]Ik vind hem best lekker..

maar ben ook niet vies van lekkere electro-invloeden.

electro invloeden zitten er zeker in, satoshi is invected with the virus! ;) maar gelukkig op een goede manier. :)

track5: Demi - D Drive is voor mij een oude bekende, toch grappig dat uit frustratie van het crashen van een hard-disk (D: ) toch iets vets kan ontstaan.  :cool

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2005, 11:17 
GrooveCollector
GrooveCollector

HEVIG teleurgesteld. Komt geen tempo in en kan er geen lijn in vinden. Beetje onsamenhangende cdke. Hoop dat het tweede deel beter is

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2005, 09:31 
Ik vind dit en ES-B beiden goed  :D